When I was a kid, I had a teddy bear, but it wasn’t one that was particularly soft or cuddly. And it was either lost or destroyed (I can’t remember which) once I got older. I always liked stuffed animals though (must be where my kids get it from, lol), so when I first saw the Snuffles teddy bears from GUND when I was a teenager, I just had to have one. I was amazed that a stuffed animal could be so soft and plush and truly huggable. And so round – it just fit perfectly right in my arms for a hug whenever I needed one. I still have that bear – he came with me to college and on my many moves afterward. It wasn’t until after my girls were born that I packed him away – the girls have enough stuffed animals of their own and I wanted to keep mine safe from grimy, sticky fingers. But for a long time when my oldest was a baby, GUND were the only stuffed animals I looked at to buy for her, because I knew they were such good quality. We have stuffed animals of all sorts now – but I still have a soft spot in my heart when I see a GUND tag. Which is why I was so happy to have the opportunity to share in the 30th birthday celebration of their iconic Snuffles bear – the same kind that I had so many years ago. 🙂
What it is:
Snuffles is GUND’s most successful and well-known bear in the company’s long, 111-year history. GUND has sold over 3 million Snuffles bears worldwide over the past 30 years, and they also sell other diverse lines of stuffed animals, along with accessories for babies, toddlers and stuffed animal fans of all ages. From Wikipedia:
Snuffles was designed in 1980 by Rita Raiffe who, at the time, led the company with her husband Herbert. She was inspired by the shape of the beautiful crescent moon in the sky, and designed a happy bear looking up at the moon. Snuffles debuted in 1981 is now the oldest bear in Gund’s product line. The initial sizes offered were 12-inch tall models available in brown or white.
Since then, Snuffles has been produced in a number of sizes and colors, mostly between four inches and three feet tall. Available colors have included dark and light brown, blue, pink, as well as rare green and yellow versions. In addition to the traditional teddy bear, Gund has made Snuffles into rattles, puppets and slippers. Some seasonal versions have been released. Most of the colored bears have a white snout, ears, and a white patch on their belly. There has been a variety of fur types made over the years including fur, velour, and terry cloth.
GUND has introduced new 30th Birthday versions of Snuffles this year – in varying sizes and colors. There is the 10” One-of-a-Kind 30th Birthday Snuffles, whose white alpaca fur, genuine leather nose accents and 100% Tahitian pearl eyes are accented beautifully by the dazzling real 10-carat diamond necklace it wears. Worth approximately $10,000 it’s truly one-of-a-kind – but it’s the celebration of 30 years as a classic GUND icon that truly makes it priceless. Then, there are also 1,000 13.5” Signature Snuffles bears which have been available at retail as gifts with purchases. And for those who want to help celebrate with their very own 30th Birthday Snuffles, there are two additional bears available for sale:
- GUND 15” 30th Birthday Snuffles: There is more Snuffles to love with the 15” 30th Birthday Snuffles. This adorable bear has plenty of love to go around in his larger size and features a special 30th birthday commemorative medallion. He is available in frosted-tip, caramel plush fur or frosted-tip, chocolate plush fur. ($50)
- GUND 10” 30th Birthday Snuffles: The adorable 10” Snuffles is celebrating his 30th birthday with a special 30th birthday commemorative medallion. This cuddly bear is ready to show his affection with two colors: frosted-tip, caramel plush fur or frosted-tip, chocolate plush fur. ($25)
Here’s our take on it:
My original Snuffles bear was one of the smaller ones – I’m not sure of the size, but he fit perfectly into my arms to hug or sat on a shelf or desk very easily too. This new Snuffles is huge! He’s a perfect pillow size to snuggle with – and so much softer than just about any other kind of pillow. My girls think he’s just about the coolest thing they’ve seen – which is why this bear is mine, lol. I don’t have to deal with the girls arguing over who gets to snuggle with him, and he reminds me so much of my original Snuffles bear – it’s like welcoming an old friend into the house. 🙂
That’s not to say that I haven’t let the girls play with our new Snuffles – my youngest loves to snuggle with him in our recliner while she’s watching tv – he’s just the perfect size for a cuddly companion for her:
I know the quality of GUND’s products – one of the very first toys that I bought for my oldest daughter even before she was born was one of their plush Mini Tinkle Crinkle rattles, which all three of my girls loved and used as a favorite toy to hug and chew on while they were teething. I loved the bright colors, the soft fabric which was easy to wipe off and keep clean – plus it was machine washable, especially important with babies. I’ve never come across a GUND product that wasn’t incredibly soft, cuddly and of good quality. So many of the stuffed animals that we have don’t hold up over time – but GUND products seem to be made to last, and that’s something that I really appreciate. I know that our new Snuffles bear will be a member of our family for a long time to come.
The bottom line:
GUND’s new 30th Anniversary Snuffles bears are just as cuddly and huggable as the original versions, and I’m so happy to see that this bear is as popular now as he has been over the past 30 years. As the saying goes, “Gotta Getta Gund!”.
Where can you find it?:
You can purchase the 30th Anniversary Snuffles bear from GUND right via their website at http://www.gund.com. The bears are also available at select retailers (you can find one near you at their website), and online at Amazon (affiliate link). The 15” bears retail for $50 and the 10” bears for $25. For more information, you can also check out the Snuffles Facebook page.
Would you like to try it?:
I have the opportunity to give away another 30th Anniversary Snuffles bear from GUND to a lucky reader! If you’d like to help celebrate the 30th birthday of Snuffles with your very own cuddly bear, here are the rules:
- Enter by leaving a comment here to let me know about a favorite stuffed animal from when you were a child. Did you ever have (or do you/your kids have) a Snuffles bear? This is required – please don’t just say anything like ‘choose me’, or your entry will be discarded.
- The contest will run until Friday, December 31st at 11:59 pm EST. The winner will be selected through random drawing, contacted by e-mail and listed on this post. US entries only, please.
- Please leave a valid e-mail address or other way to contact you! If the winner hasn’t responded within 3 days, an alternate winner will be chosen by random drawing.
- If you’d like extra entries, you can:
- Subscribe to my RSS feed (click on the orange icon in the upper right sidebar) or subscribe via e-mail – leave me a separate comment to let me know (1 extra entry).
- Mention this contest on your blog with a link back to this post, and leave a separate comment with the link to your post so I can find it (1 extra entry).
- Tweet this giveaway – leave me a separate comment with a link to your tweet. You can click the re-tweet button at the bottom of this post for an easy way to tweet (1 extra entry).
- ‘Like’ this site on Facebook – there’s a link in the sidebar or you can click here. Leave a comment to let me know (1 extra entry).
- ‘Like’ the GUND Snuffles Facebook page. Leave a comment to let me know (1 extra entry).
So that’s a total of 6 comments/entries if you do all of the extra entry options.
THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED – check back soon for the winner!
This post courtesy of: GUND and Freeman PR, who provided the product(s) for both review and giveaway. No payment or compensation, other than product samples as described above, was received for this post. All opinions given here are solely my own or those of my family.